The KDL is under construction

University of Kentucky materials are on ExploreUK. This item: Page 124 of Kentucky at the World's Fair, St. Louis, 1904 : being a report of the Commission authorized by an act of the General Assembly to the governor of the commonwealth..

Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Page 124 of Kentucky at the World's Fair, St. Louis, 1904 : being a report of the Commission authorized by an act of the General Assembly to the governor of the commonwealth.

Williamstown-Mrs. E. T. Cram. Bowling Green-MIrs. Wickliffe C. Covington. Maysville-Miss Elizabeth C. Ricketts. Danville-Miss Mary Francis McRoberts. Glasgow-'Mrs. Fannie Porter Dickey. St. Louis, Mo.-Mrs. Gerald O'Connor. SCULPTURE AND -MODELING. Glasgow-Miss Alice Garnett. Paris-Chas. J. Shea. Hardinsburg-Ernest Haswell. The Ursuline Sisters of Louisville displayed a number of praiseworthy paintings and crayons. One of the remarkable of- ferings was a large wood carving, "Sprays of Kentucky Oaks," (lone by J. E. Bryan, of Jeffersontown. A collection of enlarged photographs from the studio of Ed- ward H. Fox, of Danville, included the home of Gen. Tom Ken- nedy, in Garrard county, where Mrs. Harriett Beecher Stowe laid the opening scene of "Uncle Tom's Cabin ;" Kentucky's first State House at Danville, and Gov. Owsley's residence near Dan- ville. A large oil painting of "Dictator," the famous horse, done by W. Th. Eilerts. and loaned by R. P. Samuell, Jr., of New- castle, had a commanding position, while an enlarged photo- graph of "Rhythmic," the champion blind stallion, showing the horse in a sulky with all four feet off the ground, attracted its share of attention. Among the other pictures were a crayon of Lillian Rozell Messenger, large photographs of Agnes Leonard Hill and 'Mrs. Kate Slaughter McKinney, all Kentucky authors; water color by Anna Coyle, of Bardstown; pastels by Misses Ruth C. Miann, Bessie Gregg, Mary Thompson, Catherine Grigsby, all of Bardstown; a crayon by Miss Mary E. Singleton, of Henderson; a charcoal by Miss Louise Montfort, of Bards- town. Numerous pieces of pyrography were displayed by James M. Carothers, of Bardstown; Miss M. C. Raines, of Maysville; Mrs. M. P. Grinstead, of Richmond, and Miss Loretto Griffin, of Somerset. A china closet and two cases were filled with dec- orated china, done by -Miss May E. Ware, of Hopkinsville; Miss Loretto Griffin, of Somerset; Miss Sallie Elkin, of Lancaster; Miss 'Mamie Read, Louisville; the Sisters of Loretto, Loretto; Ursuline Sisters, Louisville. In the center of the first floor of the building stood a statue of George Rogers Clark, by J. L. Roop, sculptor, of Louisville. I24

Hosted by the University of Kentucky

Contact us: kdl-help@lsv.uky.edu

Contributors: