FOUNDED IN 1673.
White Sulphur, Scott County.
t HlP school now located at Cardome was founded
in 1875 at White Sulphur. Few of the educational
institutions of our country have more interesting
settings, historically considered, than did our "Mount
Admirabilis." White Sulphur is inseparably associated
with the history of the church in Kentucky; and it likewise
represents a page of the State's social life. Pupils of
"Mount Admirabilis" will remember the old Sulphur
Spring in the narrow dell just beyond the convent grounds,
and the pile of stones on the hill above, the ruins of the
hotel built for the accommodation of guests when the White
Sulphur Springs of Scott county annually drew large crowds
to their healthful retreats.
First Catholic Church in Kentucky.
It was at White Sulphur that one of the first churches
in Kentucky was built. For a number of years the little
log structure did service; but increasing membership and
prosperity enabled the congregation, in i8i5. to build a
new, more substantial and appropriate house of worship,
which was placed under the patronage of St. Pius. Thirty-
eight years afterwards the Covington Diocese was erected,
with the Rt. Rev. G. A. Carrel as first bishop. The retire-
ment found at White Sulphur was congenial to the scholarly
prelate, and here much of his time was spent. He built an
episcopal residence near the church and opened a school for
boys. The instisution prospered until the breaking out of
the war for Southern independence, when the students laid
down their books to take up arms for the South and her
cause, or against it. An asylum for orphan boys succeeded
the college, bat this, too, failed, and in i875 the Sisters of